A group called MarijuanaHarmsFamilies.com is flooding California airwaves with a scary-scary ad against Proposition 19, which would legalize marijuana. We don’t know who they are but we do know that there is a former Surgeon General who has come out in favor of Prop 19. She’s Joycelyn Elders, also now a professor emeritus at the University of Arkansas School of Medicine and an associate at Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Here’s a rough transcript of her comments today on GRITtv.
Laura Flanders (host): Your response to those who say those things: it harms children, it’s a gateway drug and it’ll just do terrible things to law enforcement?
Joycelyn Elders: I would say that if it does anything it will help law enforcement because they could spend more time taking care of… very harmful things. Proposition 19, as I understand it, is really for adults over 21, they can have only one ounce, it’s to be smoked in their own home or in a place that’s authorized. Now, the drug cartels regulate who buys the drug. If we regulated it or decriminalized it, it could be sold and taxed and we could use the money to do more valuable things for our bright young people.
- The GOP Is the True Anti-Business Party
- Universal Healthcare Saves Lives and Money
- Will Trump's Senate Trial Be a Southern "Good Ol' White Boys" Sham or a Real Trial?
- Republican Group Airs Ad Slamming Trump: “Corruption Won’t Make America Great Again”
- The Trump Administration’s Plan to Dismantle Climate Science
- Lily on Illiana Christian To Become “Our Lady of White Flight,” Indiana
- Rebecca Wells on Sarah Huckabee Sanders: The Eyes Have It
- G on Suit Says Obama Can’t Run In Alaska Because He’s of the “Mulatto” Race
- thelauncher on Suit Says Obama Can’t Run In Alaska Because He’s of the “Mulatto” Race
- Farmer on Rick Santorum’s Wife had a Second-term Abortion – But That’s Supposed to be Different